Friday, May 22, 2015

Planning for English Language Learners - Andyteachnow



Activity 3: Planning for English Language Learners


I will be teaching the unit about weather next term to my grade 1 class and is all in English.

I have a Korean boy, 6 years old, native language is Korean.  He is in stage I, and he requires more attention than others.  He is quiet, and I will need to repeat the teaching materials more often.  

I have a Taiwanese girl, 6 years old, native language is Mandarin.  She is in stage II, and she is a little more receptive to me now.  She can answer 1 – 2 word phrases, and requires less attention. 

I have a Brazilian girl, 6 years old, native language is Portuguese.  She is in stage III, and she can communicate with simple phrases and sentences.  She can work independently at times.  

I have a Chinese boy, 6 years old, native language is Mandarin.  He is in stage IIII, he can read, write, and speak more complex sentences to express his thoughts and mind.  He can work independently most of the time. 

In my classes, ELL, English Language Learners, will have a difficult time at first, but given time, patience, caring, and skills, they will become proficient.  Thankfully, I do not have to teach content based subjects, such as science or math, because then they will have to learn English and science or math at the same time, and that would be very challenging for young learners.  

I always try my best to create a successful and effective lesson plan, for both native and non-native speakers.  Now that I have four ELL students, and have already assessed their skill levels, I can prepare a successful and effective lesson plan.   

I will have to include:
  

  •      building background knowledge
  •    clear and coherent instructions and modeling
  •    guided and unguided practice
  •    tutoring, mentoring, grouping, and assisting
  •      group assessment and individual assessment
  •     use separate materials, props, technologies, and worksheets appropriate for each stage
  •     have assistant teachers, and parents to help out if available


I will have to prepare materials and set obtainable objectives for students from all stages.  So, to build background knowledge about weather, I will have to using pictures, videos, and internet and bring students outside the class to see the current weather.  

For my Korean student in stage 1, I can use this worksheet with pictures to help him understand the meaning of each weather condition.  

The stage 1 student does require a lot of time and effort, so I will also encourage him, use pictures, videos, read aloud, and other strategies to be sure he understands the content.  And for other students, I can continue discussing the main idea, the cause and effect, and what clothes and items to have for certain weather conditions.  

For my Taiwanese student in stage 2, I can model and give clear instructions once, then have her partner with a friend similar or above her skill level.  Two students can share their thoughts and answers on their worksheets.  During the class, I will occasionally monitor her progress and evaluate her separate worksheet.  If she requires another tutor, then I can always switch her with another partner or assist her after class.  

For my Brazilian student in stage 3, I can ask her to team up with another student or group of students and have them brainstorm ideas about weather conditions.  During the class, I can ask the student or group questions like “Where do you go when it rains?” and “What is the weather tomorrow?”  I will always help students understand the purpose of the theme, set obtainable objectives and assess them as a group or individually.   I will also have them read more books related to weather, and have them complete their separate worksheets.

As for my Chinese student in stage 4, he can complete his worksheet on his own, he can be my little helper in class, or he can be tutoring lower level kids.  He can also surf the Internet for further information about weather, and have him write sentences about his thoughts and ideas.   

APA citations

URL: http://www.everythingesl.net/inservices/language_stages.php
Website Title: Stages of Second Language Acquisition
Article Title: Stages of Second Language Acquisition
Author: Judie Haynes

No comments:

Post a Comment